Superfoods are foods that are highly nutritious and also have medicinal properties. Many have been re-discovered recently after hundreds or even thousands of years. Some are now flooding into the market such as cacao, and goji berries turning the health food shopper into a superfood superhero.
Superfoods which give you super powers
1. Marine Phytoplankton
The foundation of the food chain, supports life and offers every nutrient we need.
• Fantastic amount of carotenoids, amino acids and minerals.
• Helps preventing diseases that cause degeneration of the body and mind
• Marine phytoplankton contains phytochemicals which are great for removing toxins from your body, helping in circulation and preventing abnormal cell division that usually leads to cancer.
2. Spirulina – A type of algae that grows in fresh water.
These micro-algae contain an astounding array of nutritional elements: vitamins, macrominerals,trace minerals, essential fatty acids, protein, nucleic acids (RNA and DNA), chlorophyll, and a vast spectrum of phytochemicals. They are thought to contain every nutrient required by the human body. Yes, you could literally live off these micro-algae. You wouldn’t need to eat much, either, since they are so nutritionally dense.
• More protein than soy
• Rich in GLA or Gamma Linolenic Acid. GLA is an essential fatty acid that helps in keeping the heart healthy; people have also found it to be useful in controlling weight and PMS problems.
• Helps digestion and it also diffuses the appetite so that you don’t feel that hungry.
• Contains beta carotene in a form that is even more potent than what is found in carrots.
• Contains lutein, which is really important for the eyes.
• Contains phytonutrients such as polysaccharides, sulfolipids and calcium spirulan which are rather unusual but offer lots of health benefits.
• Helps in making people feel energetic because it balances the immune system and helps your body heal and absorb necessary nutrients.
• Helps in detoxifying our bodies, especially where heavy metals like mercury and dioxin are in excess.
3. Blue green algae
• Help people who want to control their weight or lose weight faster. It’s worth noting that blue greens have plenty of nutrients but very little calories, which make it such an ideal superfood.
• Help in lowering the blood pressure.
• Contain a high amount of protein
• Help keep blood sugar levels in control.
• Aid the growth of intestinal bacteria, which is good for digestion.
• Lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
• Help in neutralizing bad breath
• Help detox from heavy metals
4. Goji berries
• Protects liver
• Improves eyesight
• Improves quality of blood
• Prevent aging
• A complete protein
5. Acia Berry
• Helps people to sleep better
• Improves the immune system
• Slows down the aging process
• Regulates the levels of cholesterol in the body
• Improves vision
• Improves circulation and functioning of the heart
• Reduces inflammation
• Detoxifies the body
6. Hemp seeds
Hemp seeds are rich in essential amino acids and fatty acids that are required for a healthy life; in fact, hemp seeds are better than meat, eggs and soy, traditional sources of protein because of its amazing amino acid profile.
• Contains calcium, iron as well as other minerals such as zinc, magnesium, copper and manganese.
• Hemp seeds are known to alleviate the symptoms of those suffering from eczema.
• Hemp seeds are richer in omega-3 than walnuts.
• The perfect ratio of omega 3,6 and 9.
• Hemp seeds are ideal for vegans who do not eat meat at all as it meets all their protein requirements.
7. Chia seeds
• High concentration of essential fatty acids (EFAs), which are up to four times the concentration of other grains. EFAs are important for the respiration of vital organs, yet the human body is unable to manufacture them itself; they must be obtained through diet.
• Chia is also touted as having the highest omega-3 content of any plant-based source.
• Chia is high in complete protein, containing about 23 percent protein per seed. All essential amino acids are present and appropriately balanced within the protein,
• A great antioxidant source, chia provides high levels of chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, and flavanol glycosides. These are all strong polyphenols that maintain proper function of bodily organs and tissues and that protect against cancer and cardiovascular disease through the removal of damaging free radicals.
• High in fiber, chia is known for its easy digestibility. Its layer is a strong source of mucillois soluble fiber which aids in maintaining healthy digestion and assimilation of nutrients. Absorbing more than seven times its weight when placed in water, chia seeds form a gel that, when eaten, produces a physical barrier between carbohydrate and digestive enzymes in the stomach. This process effectively slows the rate at which carbohydrates are converted into blood sugar, rendering chia a great addition to a diabetic diet.
Similarly, chia consumption contributes to maintaining balanced hydration and electrolyte levels within the body, steadying water intake, assimilation, and absorption.
• Chia seeds have an amazingly long shelf life when stored in their natural, dry state. Unlike flax seeds which have a highly impenetrable outer shell, requiring them to be ground into a meal that can turn rancid rather quickly, chia seeds can be stored and eaten just as they are for their full benefits.
8. Raw cacao
• Increases blood flow to the brain and enhances brain function
• Has a high concentration of anti oxidants such as polyphenols, catechins and epicatechins. Anti oxidants as we all know are the holy grail of youth and a disease free life.
• The magnesium in cacao is good for the heart, can help to prevent constipation and even eases menstrual cramps.
• Rich in iron which makes it a great weapon to fight against anemia.
• Raw cacao contains chromium, a trace mineral which works wonders to maintain the balance of blood sugar.
• Manganese, another trace mineral that can be found in cacao is great for building up haemoglobin.
• Zinc for enhancing our immune system.
• Raw cacao contains vitamin C as well which has its own gamut of uses.
• Raw cacao contains essential omega 6 fatty acids. An important thing to note is that cooked and processed chocolate contains rancid omega 6 fatty acids or trans fats which are not healthy for you.
• Cacao beans contain certain compounds that can trigger weight loss, make you feel good and improve your mood considerably.
• The fiber in cacao beans works wonderfully to cleanse the digestive system.
• Ginseng is known to reduce the levels of stress and acts as a stimulant. It also regulates metabolism and increases energy levels.
• Ginseng helps slow the signs of aging as it is a significant source of antioxidants which halt the formation of free radicals and another anti-aging substance called maltol.
• Ginseng tea helps stimulate brain cells thereby improving concentration, thinking ability and memory.
• Ginseng acts as a potent aphrodisiac and is believe to help those men with erectile dysfunction
• Ginseng tea is a natural appetite suppressant and helps in fighting obesity.
• Helps regulate blood sugar
• American ginseng tea helps reduce the pain of menstrual cramps.
• An adaptogen
• Boosts the immune system
10. Bee Products
• Bee pollen is a granular composite of pollen from various plants and flowers compacted with a sticky substance from the bee. It’s usually collected by bee keepers. As bees return to and enter the hive, special openings obtain the bees’ collected pollen from their leg sacs.
Each grain of bee pollen, visually similar to a raw steel cut oat, is a composition of elements that cannot be synthetically reproduced. Bees fed synthetic bee pollen die. Yet naturally created bee pollen is what is fed to the hive’s bees.
Bee pollen has been used for anti-aging, overall health, but mostly energy boosting. Some swear by it, and others swear at it because they don’t get the expected results. This is true with many nutrient super foods. Nevertheless, some research scientists have called bee pollen a perfect food.
• Propolis is often called bee glue because it is produced by worker bees to assemble, protect, or repair their hives. They produce it by combining tree resins with pollen, beeswax, and nectar.
Even naysayers and quack watchers acknowledge lab research that cites propolis’ ant-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and anti-tumor aspects. Propolis is medicinal and has been used for centuries. Today it is commonly used for colds, flu, and other minor ailments.
• Royal Jelly is secreted by worker bees and fed to bee larvae for the first three days. But the queen bee feeds on it for life, thus the name Royal Jelly. Some holistic health practitioners claim it’s useful for a variety of serious health conditions, including hepatitis, asthma, arthritis, ulcers, and kidney disease.
There are no clinical trials to substantiate those medicinal claims or results. But most agree that Royal Jelly is a very nutritious dietary supplement. As a supplement, overall health and anti-aging are considered Royal Jelly’s benefits.
11. Aloe Vera
Helps maintain the balance of good bacteria in the intestine so that digestion is good
• Oxygenates the blood and promotes healthy circulatory system
• Helps people suffering from allergies and
• Helps regulate blood sugar level
• Contains trace minerals such as calcium, selenium, zinc, chromium and magnesium.
• Rich in Polysaccharides help in keeping the immune system healthy.
• Detoxifies the body and even gets rid of harmful bacteria from the body.
• Contains sterils, which greatly reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.
• Helps in healing and preventing fungus infections.
• Relieves diabetic and peripheral neuropathy
12. Coconut products
• Coconut oil and coconut cream contain Medium Chain Fatty Acids, which are instrumental in making the immune system stronger.
• Coconut water is identical to human blood plasma which makes it the universal donor. Plasma makes up 55% of human blood. By drinking coconuts we give ourselves a instant blood transfusion.
• Coconut oil contains antioxidants such as pregnenolone that are highly useful for the body.
• Coconut cream and coconut oil help in to regulate blood sugar levels
• In young coconuts, the meat inside is soft and is excellent for creating breast milk.